WHY, WHY, WHY?
WHY DO WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO USE DATABASES?
1. The information is more reliable than the open web.
2. Colleges prefer databases for research.
3. The information is updated many times daily.
CONTENT - I
I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST!!
1. Our databases cover pretty much EVERY subject area! That includes:
Health, Fitness, Medical
Geography & Culture (including customs, recipes, clothing, etc).
- Literature (including literary criticisms)
Sports / P.E.
War & Warfare
1. Our academic databases are NOT free. We subscribe to them and we pay for you to be "members". That is why you must know the login information.
2. You are allowed to print from the databases, but ALWAYS give credit. You have to cite sources you find anywhere, including on the databases.
WHAT'S IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT SEARCHING ON DATABASES?
1. You can do a Basic Search OR you can do an Advanced Search (this allows you to design your own search, linking terms).
2. Your results are more focused than the open web. On the open web, you can get thousands of results faster....but they are not necessarily better!
3. Searching a database does not replace consulting books for your research. Both are credible resources and complement each other. Depending upon your topic, sometimes a book is preferable; other times a database is best. I support using both.
CONTENT - II
A. MANY OF OUR DATABASES INCLUDE PRIMARY SOURCES!!!
Words of a speech or diary, or historical document.
B. MANY OF OUR DATABASES ADDRESS NEWS OR CURRENT & CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES.
Such as the pros & cons of certain issues.
CONTENT - III
DATABASES ARE COLLECTIONS OF INFORMATION FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES. DATABASES INCLUDE INFORMATION DIGITIZED FROM MANY FORMATS!!!
- Radio / TV Transcripts
- Web Sites
- and more
IMPORTANT - A DATABASE IS NOT A DIGITIZED BOOK BUT MAY INCLUDE A DIGITIZED BOOK. An E-Book is a digitized book. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE??