Click on thumbnail above to go to our Destiny Online Catalog. Look up your topic.
You will bring up results that include print books as well as electronic books (e-books).
Your person may be included within one or many of our Reference Books, but not come up when you do your Destiny search. WHY NOT?
Destiny (unlike an Internet search engine) cannot check every word on every page of every book. So...how do you find those Reference books that may contain your person???
1. Use the jump out theory. If you were trying to find Mao Zedong example, you might "jump out" to any of the following subjects instead:
- Military Leaders
- Chinese Cultural Revolution
- Communist Leaders
- Military Leaders
2. Once you find a book on any of the above subjects, you can look in the Contents and Index to see if the book contains information on your person; in this case Mao Zedong.
3. Be careful about the spelling. With foreign names, in particular, the spelling might vary or there may be several different ways to spell the name. For example, some resources refer to Mao Zedong as Mao Tse-tung.
4. Also, what foreign countries consider the first name and the last name may differ from what we think. For example, Sun Yat Sen may be found under Sun in some books, under Yat in other books, and under Sen in still others. You have to try all possibilities or you may be missing a great resource.
5. Another excellent area of Reference that most likely will have information on your person, is the Reference Biography section.
IMPORTANT: This is different from the non-fiction biographies which are in the BIOGRAPHY section (see the red sign) where the call numbers all start with B.
The books in the Reference Biography section have call numbers that begin with REF and then a number in the 920s. Once you find that section, there will be many.
User Name: mhss Password: eagles (for most of the databases below)
Biographical information will be found within several of the databases listed above, as follows:
- History Study Center
- History Reference Center
- Modern World History
- Salem History Center
- Explora Secondary
- World History in Context).
User Name: mhss Password: eagles
You will also find biographical information within the encylopedic databases:
Britannica Academic Online - User Name: mhss Password: eagles